Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy July Fourth

Everyone in China smokes. This includes both expats and the Chinese people. If you are a smoker, you can smoke practically everywhere. This is probably one of the most annoying things here, especially since in the states you can't smoke in any restaurants or bars. Even in our group of interns about half smoke which I don't understand, but I guess it is their choice.

My second week of work went good. I am almost finished with my report, and thanks to one of my editors back in the states ;) I should be turning it in next week. I am only hoping that I continue to get jobs because I don't want to be doing nothing. At the end of next week I should also get paid!! I am not making much (less than $15 a day) but everything here is so inexpensive so it doesn't really matter. The Chinese also have a very different sense of business here. When I worked at Morgan Stanley last year, everything seemed fairly straightforward as to what I had to do.

On the 4th of July we were taught how to make dumplings. It is actually pretty simple. All you need is flour, water and then some stuffing that is fairly fine. We used pork and shrimp yesterday. To make it, all you need to do is mix flour and water and then make thin, three inch flour circles out of that mix. Now I know how to make my favorite Chinese food!! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eamonn

Just read through your blogs. Sounds like an interesting experience. Most jobs start off slow. I think it will get better as you become more familiar.

How are you doing with the language? Do many Chinese speak English? The whole smoking thing would annoy me. I can't understand how such an educated population can be slowly killing themselves. Is it like the 50's here where it was cool to smoke? Hopefully they will change faster than we did in the U.S.

I didn't know dumplings were that popular. I thought that was a European thing. It's going to be interesting to hear about the real China.

Keep exploring and have fun. Mrs. G

Anonymous said...

Glad your being busier at work. Aunt Marcay read your blog and will keep up with it. I'll show it to Grandma too.

Love Mom

Erin Sullivan said...

Okay, sorry, I just have to say this....I make more money than you!

Anyway, glad you're having fun, except for the smoking (they actually smoke indoors here too). You can make us dumplings now when you get back :)

Anonymous said...

Glad your job is going better. I bet exploring and finding new areas in the city is fun. We have had rain here too, the monsoon season started. I go to Camp Verde on Thursday with my Grandaughter Stpehanie to celebrate your families new house. I can hardly wait to see it. Sounds like you like cooking! Do they eat lots of noodles too?

Anonymous said...

Hi Eamonn

We just watch a report on the news about a women's house whose attic was taken over by bats. Also something calledChess boxing, it's on Wikipedia too. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

I hope you can make them for us when you get back.

Have fun, Colin.

Anonymous said...

Also I wouldn't mind learning Chinese either. Ah, but it might be too late. =(

Anonymous said...

Hi Eamonn,
I'm so excited for you! Hope your having fun and enjoying all the new experiences. I'm know the almni band missed you this year on the 4th. I was not able to attend either. Have fun and stay safe.
SM

Unique Counter

More Unique Counter